Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Trust me

I once heard a speech that was supposed to be one of those now-I-feel-able-to-fly-or-move-mountains  speeches where we all left and signed up for the Peace Corps or something.  The speaker gave a piece of advice that went something like: "If you truly want to have a rewarding career, find one in which you can change someone's life."
Now I don't know about all of that.  It struck me--at the time--as a bit self-aggrandizing to want to be the one to change another's life.  I know what you're thinking: That's right up your alley, Dalley, you egotistical bastard.  Yes, I am an egotistical bastard.  But I still don't claim to have the ability to change lives.
I've realized, since hearing that speech, that the true key to having a rewarding career--hell, a rewarding life--is to be open to being changed by others.  I have learned this through practical application: I have the privilege of working with some amazing people on a daily basis, people who continually surprise and delight me (and most of them are no more than eighteen); I can say with absolute certainty (which, for me, is rare) that I am a changed man because of my profession.
How did I run into such luck?  Make no mistake: it's luck, and I am a lucky man.  There's no providence or god looking out for my well-being; I am simply lucky as hell.  I get to go to a place where I learn each day and have the opportunity to sometimes, just maybe, teach people a little something too.
Thanks, guys.  
You changed me.  
For the better.

4 comments:

  1. AW, you're getting sentimental again...

    I can't wait to read your writing for binary thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw mr dalley..
    if these are just your passing thoughts, i can't wait to hear your graduation speech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mr dalley...

    your graduation speech is going to make me cry. -_______- dang you. hahahaha:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Make no mistake..."

    ...ghosts really do exist.


    And next year, the ghosts of your first senior class and your honorary seventh period will still be with you in your classroom, reading your books, playing on your computer, listening to your iTunes, and writing on your whiteboard.

    We've learned so much from you. You deserve some credit as well.

    ReplyDelete